Day Skipper course over three weekends.
A comprehensive introduction to cruising for inexperienced skippers.
This course equips you with enough knowledge to navigate around
familiar waters by day. A basic knowledge of lights is also included to
introduce you to night cruising.
We are continually updating our courses to take into account
developments in technology and the electronic navigation aids now
available on most cruising boats.
In conjunction with the UK Hydrographic Office the RYA have developed a chart plotter specifically for use on training courses, giving you a realistic insight into electronic navigation. Use of this plotter is an integral part of our Day Skipper shorebased course.
The course is taught over 40 hours with two exam papers. It can be
covered as a series of short sessions or as a more intensive course
over three weekends.
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts