Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore course over three
weekends including the assesments.
This course will take your theory knowledge to the standard
required for the Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Offshore
practical exams, concentrating on advanced navigation and
As with the Day Skipper shorebased course, the RYA’s specially
designed chart plotter software will be used during the course to
give you a realistic taste of modern electronic navigation.
The course is taught over 40 hours with three exam papers. It can
be covered as a series of short sessions or more intensively over
Course topics include:
- position fixing
- course shaping and plotting
- tidal knowledge
- use of almanacs and admiralty publications
- electronic position finding equipment
- taking and interpreting forecasts
- plotting weather systems
- weather predictions using a barometer and by observation
- collision regulations
- customs and excise regulations for cruising abroad
It allows some time for revision of the basics and then moves on
to advanced navigation techniques.